Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Time for a different look

It's Spring, what can I say?  I'll try the left-side links for a while.  I am left-handed after all.

Do you have a Wowbrary subscription?  If not, and you are interested in hearing about all the new stuff that HPL acquires before anyone else, I would highly recommend signing up.  Personally, it has contributed greatly to reinvigorating my desire to read for pleasure.  There are so many great things coming in every week.  One word of warning however, some patrons have been experiencing difficulty receiving their Wowbrary emails when signed up using an email address from Cox Communications (for example, "john123@cox.net").  We are working with Cox to solve the problem, but as of 4/21 it is still an ongoing issue.  I will update with a resolution as soon as we have one.

One of the books I found through browsing the Wowbrary newsletter was Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.  If an action-packed, zombie-filled book set in an 1870's steampunk alternate universe sounds like fun - this is the book for you!  I think it would make a great movie - Ridley Scott would do it right.

I just started The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence by Paul Davies.  Dr. Davies has published numerous works on physics written in a way that even a mathematically-challenged librarian can understand them.  This one is interesting in that Davies examines the SETI program and the search for "ET" to date and describes the possibly erroneous underlying assumptions we've made in trying to detect how an alien species might contact us.  As I said, I've just started this one but it is shaping up to be something I would recommend if you are inclined as I am to occasionally scan the stars and wonder who or what and how many might be looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment