Tuesday, April 6, 2010

HPL 2010 Project Update

The end is near - but only in a way.  When we started the 2010 Project we always had the intention of leaving the completed project up to be used even after the initial "run through".  Now that we are nearing the end of our 10-week course, it is a good time to take a look at what we have accomplished.

Mainly due to the dedication and hard work of Kristine, our technology trainer, over 300 people have been exposed to scores of useful Internet-based tools and library resources.  On a personal level, I accomplished a change in habit by participating in the 2010 Project.  As I have alluded to in previous posts, I often feel behind the curve regarding the Internet and what tools are the "in" thing.  My new habit, developed over the 10 weeks of the 2010 Project, is to each week try one new tool I've heard about.  Will I ever "be on top of it"?  I doubt it.  But I will be keeping pace, I hope.  Here's one that I just learned about, a radio station locator called Antenna.  This one requires an install and seems to have trouble with Windows Vista - proceed at your own risk!

I've strayed off the topic a bit here, so back to my original thought.  If we assume about half of the 300+ people signed up for the 2010 Project actually complete all 10 weeks, then those 150 folks will have learned a minimum of 10 useful "things" each, hopefully feel much more confident in assessing new tools coming out in the future, and will share their impressions with people they know.  This last bit is important because we will be leaving the HPL 2010 Project website up for the balance of this year.  Although the prizes for completion will no longer be available, the resource will be there for any who want to explore the program.  I will post the web address for the project when it becomes available, so keep it in mind if you didn't get in on the original run-through.

No comments:

Post a Comment