Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Question Time

Not for me, for you.  We are preparing our move toward a "quiet reading room" and I would like to gather input from the general public regarding features desired for inside the space, what the surrounding area should be like, and also what should happen in nearby areas such as those occupied by the magazines and newspapers area and the YAs (young adults).  In order to gather the information, I invite comments here on this blog but I have also created a short survey here and on our website.  Here are some samples:

In this first one, please note that we will not have a glass-walled box.  I was looking more at the furniture.

Again, looking at the furniture - large chairs, study tables, etc.

A much more traditional look in this picture, and closer to the amount of space we have available.

A modern look with a long computer-friendly table on one wall.

We might be able to "fake" a fireplace as in this photo.

The overall idea is to have a place where there is guaranteed peace in which to concentrate and at the same time be comfortable and inviting.  Our room is not gigantic, but it is a good size.  The area outside the room is large but broken up by several columns and by virtue of being near both the YA and magazine areas tending toward the possibility of noise.  Most of the time, however, this area too is fairly quiet.  Part of the decor for the quiet room will be woodwork from the Women's Civic Center.  It is dark, stately, beautiful paneling that I think will lend some gravity to the space.  Other than that, I think any thing that will fit is fair game as are any ideas for the area surrounding the room.  Please lend your opinion, I'd like to hear your ideas!

3 comments:

  1. The 2nd one would appeal both to those with laptops wanting to type and those who want to curl up in a chair and read. I like the Metropolitan coffee set up with comfy chairs/end tables and tables with regular chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right. I'd like some "comfy" chairs that serve a dual purpose. I've sat in some at other libraries that are very plush, but also have fold-away work surfaces and power hook-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am super thrilled that the "quiet room" is coming back. Yes. Yes much so yes, on the large comfy chairs. As I am right next to a set, I see how often these two are used. (…and fought over).
    However, I also see the looks that people get while they clack away on their laptops by the people in those comfy blue chairs. They forget to turn the volume down. They do business on the phone. Yadda, Yadda. My point being; that maybe it is not wise to have a table for a work space in the “quiet room”
    Jade is right. Pockets of seating vs “waiting room” would be better. I’m thinking a twist on “East Coast Men’s Club” we have far too much blonde wood to ignore it (even though it will be outside of the room itself). If you keep the chairs with higher arms like the blue ones we have now it makes reading (and curling up in them) easier. There are some very nice modern ones with chunky arms that would work, much like the seating in the first photo.
    Yes! On the fireplace. But then again, if it was personally mine, it would be pub dark with large chocolate “suede” seating and green glass banker’s lights (told you I was old fashioned) however, wing backs are very stiff. While nice, I think picture 3 is not suited for this library. Think Relaxing, inviting.

    ReplyDelete