Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Another Interesting Circulating Item

Four Pennsylvania libraries will be circulating ukuleles! This is the start of a project created by a group of ukulele enthusiasts that has a goal of reaching 32 libraries.

Apparently, the ukuleles even come with some training for staff in the basics of ukulele playing. I imagine the staff thinking the same things about this that they do when any new service or tool is introduced at their library - "People are going to ask me how it works!" So I think it is fantastic that the ukulele afficinados responsible for the project are thinking big picture and making sure they have advocates in the libraries.

I saw this and was thinking that this is what really might be the biggest problem for the "Library of Things" post I made about the Sacramento Public Library a few weeks back. I wonder how they deal with patrons who come in and want to check out, say, a sewing machine and then want to have a staff member show them how to load the bobbin? If you had a library of things, you would want to have a library of experts, or at least knowledgeable staff, I would think. Although, I suppose you could just adopt the position that the library of things is there for patrons who already know how to use the "thing" they are checking out, rather than a hands-on learning collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment