Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What Should a Public Library...

I've spent some time wrestling with a title for this post. The reason being is that I think I may have wandered too far afield in my thinking of the purpose, the reason for being, the meaning of a public library.

When I began my library career, roughly 20 years ago, the Internet was truly a novelty. Internet meant text, clunky searching, slow connections, and meager results Libraries were the places where information was collected, organized, and stored. Most people associate great stacks filled with books and quiet nooks in which to study. Back then librarians were the experts; programs focused on reading, culture, and the arts; and authoritative sources of information were organized and ready for researchers. A public library's mission was to provide information to fuel ideas, provide low- or no-cost entertainment, and to educate in a sustaining, life-long way.

Now, two decades later, a public library is a place where people can consult expert librarians and tools, attend programs ranging from story time for toddlers to art exhibitions to Talk20 gatherings for sharing ideas and community building. ...Wait a minute. Are we really doing the same things for which we've always been known? Is our mission still relevant?

So what is the issue? Why do we (as a library) feel like we need to "find our purpose"? I think this identity crisis comes from one source - the patrons who are less and less frequently availing themselves of our services. Are they not reading as much? There is some indication that this is the case. Do people really find the answer they need using Google? Here, let me Google that for you... I think it is simply that we feel like we don't have time to do any "library things" IRL anymore.

What we as public librarians don't really know is, "What do you want from us?" Apaprently, we don't even really know how to ask you that question. If you can find the time to tell me what you want the PL to do, we'll try to do it. I'm not talking about getting the latest season of Game of Thrones on DVD for you, I'm talking big picture what-would-make-us-central-to-your-lives level thoughts here. What makes a public library relevant to its community in our world today?

No comments:

Post a Comment