Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Renewed interest in bibliotherapy?


I read a lot about reading. Really, it makes more sense than it sounds. I am obsessed with the idea that early reading - pre-school reading - is the key to success in school more than just about anything else. As I read about reading though, I come across many articles about other uses, focuses, etc. This is one of those from Smithsonian Magazine: Doctors are now prescribing books to treat depression.

This is no new idea, in fact it was an old idea when I studied counseling psychology in college. Intuitively it makes sense to me that reading would help if one felt totally isolated from those around her or him. It might even "trick" you into coming out of that inward-spiraling cycle that is depression.





No comments:

Post a Comment