Thursday, March 17, 2011

Man, this soap box is getting rickety!

Here I am again, stepping up on my virtual soap box.  I've been having a lot of difficulty lately reconciling all the budget slashing affecting not only the library world, but public services in general with the total lack of accountability for those folks who ran the financial ship on to the rocks.  So, now the public services that help people get back on their feet are being threatened with gutted budgets at the very time the "regular folks", i.e. you and me, are using them most.  Maybe I'm off base.  But I don't think so.

[Steps off soap box]

Here's something MUCH cheerier:  The paint is dry, the wainscot up, and the floor is in our new Quiet Reading Room.  Right now there are two sample lounge chairs in there, available for testing.  If you are local, go and have a sit and let us know what you think.  Bear in mind that each chair is customizable regarding seat width, back height, firmness of cushions, etc.

Another good development is that the design process for our new library website is rolling along.  I think we are moving in the right direction and I think that the patrons will like the awesome new features.  Among them will be a calendar that will allow direct registration for library events, straight-forward jargon-free language, and a vastly simpler navigation.  We're expecting a mid- to late-spring launch.

No comments:

Post a Comment