Tuesday, October 26, 2010

E-book changes...sort of

[EDIT: 10/27]
I read this weekend that Amazon is allowing the lending of Kindle e-books.  My first thought was, "Really?  Because they have been really tight-fisted about content control to date."  So, as I read a bit further into the CNET article I had stumbled across and found the "gotcha".  Mainly what they are allowing, for some but not all e-books, is the opportunity to share a book once, as in "only once...ever".

Honestly, I find this whole new wave of the e-book to be quite frustrating.  It isn't that I'm secretly shedding tears at the impending death of paper books (if that even happens).  It is mostly that I can't stand the fact that just like software, if we aren't careful, we will no longer "own" the books we buy.  We will license a copy.  That's really what Amazon et.al. are doing - they are selling licenses to "intellectual property" produced by writers.  Regardless of the fate of libraries or even used book shops, the idea that a book MUST be purchased each time in order to be shared is not healthy for for authors, readers, or I think even publishers, (though it might help a small percentage of bottom lines).

My personal experience with reading (especially fiction), new authors, and book-buying has been one that, with very few exceptions, has gone like this:  Someone directs me to a title or an author they have read.  I borrow that persons copy or go to the library and check it out.  If I like the author, I look for more and often buy and also recommend to others.  Very rarely will I go out and buy a book on recommendation.  Perhaps I'm cheap.  Perhaps I've read too much so-so writing.  Perhaps I "just don't get it".  I am not sure.  I am sure that I still don't think the ebook concept is fully fleshed out.

UPDATE:  I read this interesting article in Consumerist this morning, posted on a library email list.  Basically, another problem with using your e-reader for anything other than viewing "licensed" material.  Again, it sounds like I am anti-ebook when I am not.  But there are some major issues to be aware of along with some fundamental questions that need to be answered before I feel comfortable with e-books becoming a major medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment