Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Book Review

Having just finished The eerie silence: renewing our search for alien intelligence by Paul Davies, I thought I would share my opinion.  Davies is a professor at Arizona State University.  In a nutshell, this book, as many of Davies' books are, was both entertaining and thought-provoking.  I am not one to easily grasp advanced scientific concepts, and I always find Professor Davies' books easy to read and understand.  Basically, Davies lays out the case for expanding what we should be looking for if we ever expect to "make contact" with an alien intelligence (think SETI).  Rather than simply searching the universe for radio waves we might want to look beyond what we, as a peculiar species might do (and expect) to establish communications.  I won't bother to go into great detail, but Davies provides chapter after chapter filled with ideas not only for us to use to try to establish contact but for us to look for where someone else might already have tried to contact us.  I would encourage taking a look at this book if for no other reason than it forces one to confront the real challenges and opportunities surrounding, and the deep, deep questions raised by, the fact that there seems to be such an eerie silence out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment