Wednesday, January 27, 2010

HPL 2010 Project Countdown

Being a staff member, and more to the point, being the director allows me to occasionally peek at upcoming activities.  The HPL 2010 Project is no different.  Not only has it been fun to try out what you can sign up for yourselves, it has been a learning experience just as I'd hoped.  The funny thing is that of the things I've learned so far, TWO of them have had to do with Google.  I've been using Google services and tools for years and thought I knew how it all worked.  I won't spoil it by telling you what I learned though, because I'm smug enough to assume they are things you don't know either.  :-)

I believe that our HPL 2010 Project is only the second program to be created for and offered to the public in the United States.  The program is based on the "23 Things" concept created by librarian Helene Blowers several years ago to help introduce new Internet tools to library staff.  It is a great opportunity, not time-consuming, and I guarantee you will learn something.

I have been reading D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor.  It is an historical tour de force.  There's no other way to describe the book.  I am quite dismissive of labels for groups of people, generally;  you know, "Generation X" and the like.  However, this book will convince you that that generation truly is the "Greatest Generation".  The audacity and sheer magnitude of the invasion that would make or break the war effort for the Allies would be unbelievable if it one didn't know it had actually taken place.

OK - there are my plugs for the week.  I expect to see a hold list on the Beevor book and remember that the deadline to sign up for the HPL 2010 Project is January 30 - more than 265 people have signed up already!

No comments:

Post a Comment