Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bicycles and Libraries

What do these two things have in common?  To be frank, I am not entirely sure.  However, in the upcoming 2 weeks, there will be 2 classes held at the Hutchinson Public Library on bicycle safety.  The safety classes will be held in the Library auditorium on the second floor May 4th and May 12th.  Both classes will begin at 6:30PM.  These events are part of a campaign to raise awareness of Hutchinson's "bikeability", to coin a terrible term, and to promote Hutchinson's May 15 "Bike to Work" day.
 
I do a modest amount of bicycling around Hutchinson, mostly to work and back and mostly during fair weather (I am no fanatic!)  I do this for a variety of reasons - I get some exercise and as a side benefit I save a little cash by not driving my car.  Mostly it is because Hutchinson is a nicely-sized town for biking.  Hutchinson is compact enough that by pedaling at a reasonable pace, very little in Hutchinson is farther than a 15-20 minute ride away.  Lots of others I know ride bikes for recreation.  While I rarely have the time to use it myself, Hutchinson has the great Martinez Sunflower hike/bike trail.  There are plans in the works to expand this 3+ mile trail into a loop around Hutchinson!  So, if you are looking for a way to make a health change, a budget change, or just want to change pace, come to DCI Park or Promise Hospital on May 15 between 6:30-8:30am and bike to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment